FAQ and Glossary
SENSITIVE, ACCURATE TESTING
Pisces Molecular uses the tools of molecular genetics to engineer solutions to problems in fisheries, wildlife, and conservation biology.
Since 1997, we’ve been using a variety of these tools to test wildlife samples—160,000 and counting.
We provide sensitive and accurate testing for detecting pathogens, endangered species, and invasive species, determining genetic purity or hybridization, and identifying organisms.
THINK LIKE AN ENGINEER
Our first love is problem solving—developing new assays to support researchers and wildlife managers.
For example, we developed:
- A qPCR assay to determine the sex of Komodo dragons and other monitor lizard species;
- A new environmental DNA (eDNA) assay for the locally endangered hornyhead chub in Wyoming; and
- An eDNA assay for phylogenetic population studies of beluga whales.
Solving Problems in Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology
We Frequently Test For:
- Whirling Disease (M. cerebralis)
- Chytrid Fungus (B. dendrobatidis)
- Sex ID (ex. Komodo Dragon)
- Presence of Endangered Species
- Presence of Invasive Species (ex. Zebra Mussels, Quagga Mussels, Asian Clams, New Zealand Mud Snails)
- And More...